How we 支持 you if you are a care leaver
A care leaver is someone who has been in the care of their local authority for a period of 13 weeks or more around their 16th birthday.
This could have been in foster care or residential accommodation. If you are under the age of 25 and this definition applies to you, then you should be receiving 支持 from your local authority's Leaving Care Team to come to university.
然而, 在UC8体育, we will still provide 支持 even if you have been in care for just one day.
Confidentiality is important to us and we will always respect this and will not share your information with anyone without your consent.
- 上下文招生: 2022年9月起参赛, we are offering special consideration to applications from care leavers of a reduction of 16 UCAS points (equivalent to two A-level grades) below the advertised entry tariff for undergraduate courses on our website (including those provided by partner colleges). 资格和如何申请.
- 应用程序: we offer 支持 for choosing your course and help with your UCAS application, 包括个人陈述.
- 参加活动: we help you attend our Care Leaver Summer School, 科目的品酒师天, arrange bespoke visits and can also help with the cost of attending an Open Day and/or interview if you're from Kent, Medway或大伦敦.
- 回答你的问题: we can answer your questions about the transition from school or college into higher education. 电子邮件: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you become a student, how do we 支持 you?
- 助学金: we offer a 保健离开者奖学金 (subject to terms).
- 导师:你的学生大使, “格林威治的朋友”, can provide confidential 支持 and guidance, answer your questions and help your transition into higher education.
- 支持 from our designated members of staff help you to succeed in your studies.
- 全年住宿: you are welcome to stay over university holidays. Whilst some accommodation is used for events during the summer, you'll be able to live somewhere that isn't used or move to different accommodation.
Financial 支持 / 保健离开者奖学金
What sources of financial 支持 are available for care leavers?
Full-time undergraduate students can apply to Student Finance for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan for general living costs. You will be required to provide a letter from your local authority to confirm your care leaver status in order to qualify for the maximum maintenance loan.
地方当局2英镑的助学金,000 is available for all eligible care leavers entering higher education. Your local authority may pay this in a lump sum or in instalments.
Local authorities must also 支持 you with accommodation and other costs related to entering higher education. You can discuss with your local authority what they offer alongside the bursary.
The University of Greenwich provides young care leavers with a bursary of £1,500 a year for up to four years (depending on the length of your course) plus £200 towards the cost of graduation. This bursary is not means-tested, but you must be in receipt of full student 支持.
This bursary is worth £700 for new undergraduate students with a low household income. The bursary is assessed and awarded automatically by the Student 费用 and Funding Team.
You may also be entitled to some of our additional awards, such as the Commuter Bursary.
The University of Greenwich has signed up to the Department for Education's Care Leaver Covenant. UC8体育承诺 一系列的支持措施 to enhance the recruitment, retention, success and progression of care leavers who study with us.
A 范围的组织 have committed to 支持ing care leavers with their own covenant.
Just having contacts in the university, it was really helpful and it gave me a bit of a lift because the staff already knew my background.
Find out how we 支持 you with your application, UC8体育提供的资金支持多棒啊, and how we help you transition to university.
Join our next Open Day to chat with staff and students and find out more about studying at Greenwich.
UC8体育的护理离职者助学金提供1英镑,500 per year to undergraduate students who are joining us directly from local authority care.